NATIONAL HONOR SOCIETY
JOINING THE NATIONAL HONOR SOCIETY
The Bellaire Chapter of the National Honor Society (NHS) invites only sophomore and junior students having a 3.75 grade point average or higher to complete the Candidate Information Sheet.
Here is Information About NHS that you need to know:
· NHS is a society of high school juniors and seniors who demonstrate four qualities for membership: scholarship, leadership, service, and character.
· NHS requires several commitments from its members:
o Commitment to active participation in the Chapter’s activities, including attending meetings.
o Commitment to tutoring students (1 hour a semester).
o Commitment to volunteering through the Chapter’s service opportunities (10 hours a semester).
- completion of 2 or more sanctioned service events.
o Commitment to having academic integrity and honesty.
o Commitment to maintaining the highest academic standards by consistently maintaining a GPA of 3.7 or higher.
Here are the Steps to Membership:
· Potential members are invited to apply for NHS membership. Individuals must have 3.75 GPAs, unweighted or higher.
· Interested students should download the Student Activity Form, which must be filled out completely and returned to Ms. Kuhleman in Room 2707 dates/designated times listed below:
Friday (4/11) 12:30pm -1:20pm or 4:15 - 4:30
Monday (4/21) 12:30 - 1:20pm or 4:15 - 4:30
Parents, friends, and siblings MAY NOT drop off the completed application; it is your personal responsibility to do so. Do NOT e-mail the completed application. Your name will be compared to the registrar’s list of students having 3.75 GPAs or higher.
· Applications are reviewed by the Faculty Council (Council) comprised of five teachers representing the core academic subjects. The Council determines who will receive an invitation to join the NHS. The Council considers the applicant’s past leadership and service activities; grades are not considered, as the applicant has already achieved the necessary 3.75 GPA. The Council also considers solicited teacher input regarding behavior and leadership potential. Behavior records are consulted.
· After the Faculty Council determines who has met the NHS standards, Invitations to Join are issued during or before the last week of March. Applicants will be notified of either their selected or non-selected status. Students who receive an invitation must indicate whether they accept the invitation by April 4th.
· On April 11, 2022, all those accepting membership in the Bellaire Chapter of the NHS MUST attend the induction ceremony. Induction into the NHS is an honor. Do not apply if you cannot fulfill your obligations to the organization’s requirements of service (ten hours a semester and 1 hour of tutoring each semester), scholarship (maintain a 3.7 GPA or higher), and character (academic honesty and personal integrity). Failure to meet those obligations may lead to your permanent removal from the National Honor Society. Download the application from the home page, if interested.